Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My son hit his head on the bath tub faucet!?

My son is 10 months old and he hit his head on the bath tub faucet. He got a bump immediatley. it didnt bleed and he cried but not for long. I have ice on it and i dont want to go to the ER unless nessary. Im not one of those moms that got to the doctor for every little thing. Its not nessary. ANyways if you think it is important that he go tot hte doctor or er id like your opinion. He seems to be fine and the bump is already starting to go down alittle. THank you ahead of timeMy son hit his head on the bath tub faucet!?
If you can get in touch with your doctor or a physician of some kind, do so. Signs to watch for are confusion, dizziness, lack of appetite (which can be due to nausea), dilated/unequal pupils, excessive lethargy, and unable to wake him.





That being said, since the swelling is going outward, that means that he will most likely be fine. Keep an eye on him, ice the bump when you can ( I know babies can be wiggly!) and check on him during the night. He should be fine.





Last year my then 22 month old son face planted into the fire place. He got a large gash and goose egg on his head and I was also freaked out. I was told to keep a close eye on him for sudden changes in personality and the symptoms I described above. He turned out to be fine.My son hit his head on the bath tub faucet!?
I just went through this with my 3 year old about 4 days ago.


When he hit his head, it immediatly started to swell into a blue goose egg.


I called the pediatrician and this is exactly what they told me.


*When he hit his head, did he pass out or get knocked out? If not, then he should be okay.


*The key signs to look for is:


If he gets unusually sleepy for irritable afterwards, If he starts to stumble alot, Talking funny or slurred words, If one pupil is bigger than the other then take him to the ER. Or if theres anything that hes doing that just seems ';off';.





Id keep a good eye on him tonight once hes sleeping, make sure hes breathing okay. And they also told me to wake him, if hes really hard to wake up or not responding to waking up then seek medical attention. Good luck, I know I was a nervous wreck that night!
If you don't you need to watch him to make sure he's not acting funny, and wake him up frequently through out the night. Bath tub faucets are hard, chances are he's fine but there is a chance of internal bleeding. I asked my mom, who is an E.R. nurse, in a trauma 1 hospital, she says you might want to go, only because of the one in a million chance he has a small bleed, no doctor would be upset, and it's better safe than sorry. She says he's probubly fine, but wouldn't say not to go, she would never want some thing to happen to your baby!
Ohh poor little guy :*( He'll be fine though, as long as he's acting fine and your already putting ice on it so that's good. The main thing is to check his pupils and make sure they are not funky (one bigger than the other) but honestly he's fine, kids always bump their heads, i swear their heads are made for this, lol. Just check up on him in the middle of the night and everything will be all good. Have a good night and rest of the weekend. :)
My son fell of the futon about 2 weeks ago. At the time he was 8 weeks old. I called my husband crying like a nut. He left work early and on the way home called the doctor. He gave us the warning signs as to watch out for. If he throws up or anything more then normal, just doesn't seem himself these two signs and the baby needs to go to the hospital. He seems fine. If he is alert and such though it doesn't hurt to call the doctor. I know how scary it can be.
My son isn't a big crier but when he does get hurt badly he keeps crying. I think he will be fine if it is going down and didn't bleed. I would give him some tylenol before bed. Also buy one of the tub faucet covers, we have a duck one and my mother-in-law has an elmo one.
i would certainly call your doctor to give him a heads up - but i dont think you need to go, although dont be surprised if your doc wants to check him over.





I would look online for signs of concussion in infants, so you know what to watch out for!!





Im sure that he will forget about it long before you will!!!





However on a side note be careful with baths - they are so slippery!!
if he seems to be fine and the bump is already looking better i wouldn't take him to the doctor. my little girl is crawling now and she bumps her head all the time. i keep telling my husband that we are going to have to buy her a helmet lol.
I'd call you doc just to let him know. Someone once told me good advice for bumps to the head... if the baby is crying that's a GOOD sign..it's when he's NOT crying is when you have to worry.
skip the ER -treat the bruising with ice, if tolerated. give pain meds as needed and follow up with the pediatrician.
Since there was a bump immediatley that is a good thing. I would call the on call doc just to make sure.
I would still have him checked out just to be safe.
depends on how hard he hit it....i would buy a faucet cover to prevent any repeats.
I know it is scary! My son is around the same age, and on christmas eve, with all of the hub bub, the cellar stairway door was somehow not locked and BOOM, down went my 9 month old! We rushed him to the ER, and all he got out of it was scraped nose. poor little guy had a scraped nose for his first x-mas. All kids are bound to bump their heads and most of the time it is nothing. but if you feel uneasy by all means take him in. I am a first time mom, so i freak out easy, n some may say too protective but I just tell myself that i am not going to apologize for trying to make sure my child is in the healthiest shape he can be. Call your pediatrics office and let them know and if they think he should be brought in, they will tell you and just have you bring him in after a while to check it out.
  • make up artist
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment