Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bath faucet boo-boo... please help.?

I was replacing the old faucet handles in my tub to give it an updated feel without all the plumbing work. During installation, one of the screws to hold the handle onto the ?knob? (part that sticks out and turns the water on and off w/out the decoration) broke inside. I tried to remove it with two sets of pliers like I've done before, but it turned the cheap screw into a metal mess.





Help?! I don't have the knowledge to replace the whole rough in. But I did find something from home depot that may help, could someone let me know if it would work?





www.homedepot.com enter sku # 39695





Any other advice high appreciated too. And don't call me any names or things, I'll just give you bad ratings.Bath faucet boo-boo... please help.?
First, turn your water off, either the shut-off on the water lines to the tub, or the main line to the bathroom. Then use the tool that you bought, from home depot. If you don't turn off the water, when you get the screw loose, the water will go everywhere! What you bought might work, but if it don't, try the pliers again, with the water off. I think it will be easier, with the water off. If that don't call the man, (Plumber). good luck...Bath faucet boo-boo... please help.?
homedepot reports that the sku you give does not match anything.
I did a search on google for Danco Lever Handle Bathtub and Shower Faucet Rebuild Kit, Porcelain Handle, and the number one result was this post, so I am sorry I dont know what tool kit this is. Could you post a pic of the Rebuild Kit?





You can try spraying a lubricant like Hilco Lube (works better then wd40) onto the broken screw then trying to twist it out with some needle nose pliers. If that doesn't work you will have to change out the tub stem (the part that the broke screw is stuck in) ...which is really easy to do if you have the appropriate tools and can shut the water supply to the bath tub off.





Hope this helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment