Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Anywhere in my house, where water comes in,faucets,bath, washer, smells horrible! ?

I just moved into a 6-7 year old house a month ago. I noticed whenever I flush the master bath commode, at first it stunk, but also had little black particles in the water. Then I noticed at every faucet, including washing machine, that same nasty odor comes out whenever water in coming out. It's not a rotten egg smell, but squirrely or gamey-smelling. It almost makes me feel nauseous--it's so strong. What can I do? Help!Anywhere in my house, where water comes in,faucets,bath, washer, smells horrible! ?
There is a list of things that could be causing your problems. Minerals or bacteria are probably the most common.





It would be really helpful if we knew if you had city water, a well, or a community well.





If you have a type of well, check for filtration after the holding tank. City water, check for it just past the point of entrance to the home (basement, crawlspace, etc.) If there is a cartridge, it may need replacing. If there is a spin-down filter, it may need to be drained. And an unused water softener may need to be cleared and regenerated.





Also, if it is a well, if the water hasn't been used for a while it may need to be flushed or chlorinated. Flushing would just involve running a lot of water while chlorination should probably be handled by a well professional.





And for the record, a water softener is only for removing a small amount of iron and hardness. A smell that strong, if caused by sulpher, should be removed using a different type of filtration and typically is more like a rotten egg smell. If you have any questions please shoot me an e-mail via my profile.Anywhere in my house, where water comes in,faucets,bath, washer, smells horrible! ?
If you are on city water supply, I would check to see if there is an in-line filtration system that needs maintenance. Most likely this filter would be in the basement or crawspace, right where the main water line enters the house. Water would go through this filter first before going anywhere in the house, thus the bad smell is everywhere.





Shut the water off at the water meter, remove the filter. Run lots of water to help flush it out.
It is sulfur. It is in the water or in your pipes. Either way, the only thing you can do is get a water softener. It will filter you water and take out the sulfur which makes your water smell like rotten eggs in the sun. Usually this is a problem in rural areas. My friend had the same issue. The softener did the trick. I had mine installed for $300. The salt I buy for $2.95 a bag. Well worth the money. (My clothes look better as well.)
You should get a water test kit, preferred through your local health department, and have it tested for bacteria.





Are you on a well? That can be the source of the problem. I hate to say this, but rodents can find their way into a well casing. Options are to pour a half gallon of bleach into the well and let it set for as long as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment